Tuesday 22 May 2012

Day Fifty-Seven

If you have 10 minutes!
Read Acts 12:5-11 & the quote by John Stott

5 So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him. 6 The night before Herod was to bring him to trial, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries stood guard at the entrance. 7 Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. “Quick, get up!” he said, and the chains fell off Peter’s wrists. 8 Then the angel said to him, “Put on your clothes and sandals.” And Peter did so. “Wrap your cloak around you and follow me,” the angel told him. 9 Peter followed him out of the prison, but he had no idea that what the angel was doing was really happening; he thought he was seeing a vision. 10 They passed the first and second guards and came to the iron gate leading to the city. It opened for them by itself, and they went through it. When they had walked the length of one street, suddenly the angel left him. 11 Then Peter came to himself and said, “Now I know without a doubt that the Lord has sent his angel and rescued me from Herod’s clutches and from everything the Jewish people were hoping would happen.”


Here then are two communities, the world and the church, arrayed against one anothers, each wielding an appropriate weapon. On the one side was the authority of Herod, the power of the sword and the security of the prison. On the other side, the church turned to prayer, which is the only power which the powerless possess.[1] (BUT WHAT POWER!)
“That’s not fair!” This was the first time the children I look after three-days-a-week had accused me of such a thing. I cannot remember what it was over, probably something like whose turn it was to choose the Peppa Pig episode to watch. However, although I felt I was treating them equally, the perception of unfairness jarred with me as – like most people working with children – I try hard to be fair since I appreciate how hurtful it must be for a child if someone is favoured over them.
 However it is not just children; we all like things to be fair and it throws us when it is not. “Why did this happen to me? What have I done to deserve it?” We can find ourselves exclaiming. Or conversely, “Why have I had such an easy life when others have all sorts of heartache to deal with?” Time and time again though the well-worn parent refrain “Life isn’t fair” is proved correct. We live in an unfair world.
To add to our frustrations, often God too seems unfair. At times our prayers are answered before they are uttered; at other times we pray for years and God apparently does nothing! While one person in church goes through a time of prosperity another is bankrupt. While some enjoy great health others fall sick…
Even in this chapter of Acts, God seems unfair! Why does he save Peter but not James? Why is Herod struck down at the end of the chapter rather than at the start, before he can unleash any damage? Further, if God is willing to kill Herod why not other destructive despots who have plagued the earth before and since?
Luke does not proffer any reason why James was killed but Peter walks free, nor does he seem perturbed by the inconsistency. Indeed there are echoes of Acts 5-7 where the release of Peter and the apostles from prison precedes Stephen’s death at the hands of a mob. God’s apparent inconsistency would perhaps be better explained were Peter to continue as his main agent. However, other than a brief appearance in chapter 15, Peter is not mentioned again.
What jarred me most about the children's protestation was the implication that I could not be trusted. That rather than doing my best to love both equally I favoured one above the other. This challenge to my trustworthiness is sometimes expressed in other ways; when I forbid something dangerous and am regarded a killjoy. None of this is unusual and I’m building it up to make a point!  However when trying to explain to a two-year old the logic of not giving her a hot cup of tea to carry or allowing her to just eat cake or climb on the TV… and your patient clear well-grounded-in-rational-thought arguments are met with cries of despair, it can be a genuinely frustrating experience.
It was during one of these experiences – as I was lamenting the cognitive gap between my highly rational explanations and a two-year old's inability to grasp their astonishing logic – that it suddenly occurred to me that the gap in knowledge and understanding between myself and a two-year old was infinitely smaller than the gap between myself and God! You see at the time I was, if I am honest, annoyed with God because a number of things had not panned out as I had hoped. I felt let down by him and could not understand why he was not answering my prayers more immediately and directly. In that moment I began to picture myself as the two-year old and God as me. There I was railing against the apparent unfairness I perceived in God totally oblivious to, and unable to grasp, his infinite wisdom and the work he was doing in my life.
Perhaps Luke grasped better than I how vast the gap between our knowledge and God’s really is?
Perhaps he had the faith to not understand but still trust?
Perhaps we can learn from him?


[1] John Stott, “Acts,” pg. 208-209.

No comments:

Post a Comment