Friday 1 June 2012

Day Sixty-Five

If you have 5 minutes!
Read Acts 13:42-52
42 As Paul and Barnabas were leaving the synagogue, the people invited them to speak further about these things on the next Sabbath. 43 When the congregation was dismissed, many of the Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed Paul and Barnabas, who talked with them and urged them to continue in the grace of God. 44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord. 45 When the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy. They began to contradict what Paul was saying and heaped abuse on him. 46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles. 47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us: “‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’” 48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed. 49 The word of the Lord spread through the whole region. 50 But the Jewish leaders incited the God-fearing women of high standing and the leading men of the city. They stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region. 51 So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
I recently went on a trip to Uganda with a group from the church my parents belong to. Sometime after this trip we fed back about our trip to the church. When you feedback from a trip like this it can be difficult to know what to say. So much has happened that it can be hard to decide what to include and what to miss out, what to focus on and what to skip over. You can, in fact, perhaps tell quite a bit about a person by their selection in this regard.
For example, whenever I tell people about my trip I always make sure that I get in the fact that I taught at a Bible college. I think this is because this was an opportunity I could not believe I had been given! To be asked to do it was affirming of the longer-term direction I would like to go in and was one of the biggest privileges of my life.
If anyone looks like they are up for listening for a bit longer, I then make sure I get in the story about staying overnight at a safari park and waking up to a grunting and munching sound. My roommate and I got up and rushed to the window to see two massive hippos about a metre away! If we had been bolder (/more stupid!) we could have reached out of the window and touched one of them, it was that close!!! I have always, somewhat bizarrely, been a massive fan of hippos so this was a life highlight for me!
John Stott (this week’s commentator of choice!) argues that although Luke sketches the full itinerary of their trip the three incidences he highlights specifically demonstrate Paul’s versatility. He seems ‘equally at ease with individuals and crowds, Jews and Gentiles, the religious and the irreligious, the educated and uneducated, the friendly and the hostile.’[1]
  • Do you feel equally at ease with a wide range of people or are there some you find it difficult to be around? If the latter, does this matter? If so how could we grow more like Paul in this?


If you have a bit longer :-)
Write out in the space below a Luke-style summary of the last year of your life. What do you include and why? (I realise that I asked this a couple of weeks ago but I thought if I did it again and this time with a box to write in we might feel more inclined to give it a go!)



















[1] John Stott, “Acts,” pg. 225.

No comments:

Post a Comment