Wednesday 29 February 2012

Day Forty-Three

If you have 5 minutes!
Read Acts 9:19-25 & 2 Corinthians 11:21b-33
Saul spent several days with the disciples in Damascus. 20 At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. 21 All those who heard him were astonished and asked, “Isn’t he the man who raised havoc in Jerusalem among those who call on this name? And hasn’t he come here to take them as prisoners to the chief priests?” 22 Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Messiah. 23 After many days had gone by, there was a conspiracy among the Jews to kill him, 24 but Saul learned of their plan. Day and night they kept close watch on the city gates in order to kill him. 25 But his followers took him by night and lowered him in a basket through an opening in the wall.
Whatever anyone else dares to boast about—I am speaking as a fool—I also dare to boast about. 22 Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham’s descendants? So am I. 23 Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own people, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. 29 Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? 30 If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. 31 The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised forever, knows that I am not lying. 32 In Damascus the governor under King Aretas had the city of the Damascenes guarded in order to arrest me. 33 But I was lowered in a basket from a window in the wall and slipped through his hands.
It is hard to change. Not only is there the internal battle to try and stay on the new path you’ve chosen rather than revert back to the well-worn tracks you moved in before but there is also the external one. There are the expectations of others who viewed you in one way and are reluctant to look at you afresh. There can be downright hostility when those who thought you were one of them now see you as a traitor. It is, therefore, perhaps unsurprising that when those who thought Saul was with them see him arguing for the other side, they don’t take it too well. Thus it’s not that long before Ananias’ daunting prophecy begins to unfold; Saul starts to learn just how much he will suffer for Jesus’ name.
  • Have there been times in your life when you feel that you have changed and that this change has not been well received by others? What changed in you and what was the response? Why do you think people responded in this way?
  • Imagine you are one of the people in the synagogue when Saul comes in to preach. What do you think? How do you feel? Do you question his motives? Are you suspicious at all? Imagine you are one of the disciples in Damascus at the time. Would you have welcomed him so readily?
  • Are there times in your life when others have changed and you’ve found this difficult? In what way did they change? Why did you find it difficult? How did you respond?

If you have a bit longer :-)
Have a look at the map below and read all of Acts 9:1-31 trying to get a picture of where Saul was at the various points in this account.
From biblemapper.com

No comments:

Post a Comment